Springer Spaniel Original Art
Personalised prints for springer spaniel lovers
This print combines hand drawn lettering with illustration. Each one is individually hand-printed on my press in a rich burnt toffee ink, and signed.
Choose your print:
Unframed / No Mount - Worldwide Shipping
- Fits a standard 12" x 12" frame (or with a little trimming a 30 x 30 cm frame). A box style frame is best (with no mount) as it will keep the print away from the glass
- Ships with a backing board and cellophane wrapped
- Paper Size: 12" x 12"
Unframed With Mount - UK addresses only
- Fits a standard 40 x 40 cm frame
- Ships with an off-white, acid-free mount and conservation grade backing board in a cellophane bag
- Mount size: 40 x 40 cm
Framed - UK addresses only
- Hand-made, reclaimed solid wood vintage style frame with its own pattern of knots, dinks, scratches, nail holes, wonky edges and aged patina
- Hand-painted in Old White then lightly distressed and finished with clear wax
- No mount (print is recessed from the glass)
- Frame is approximately 35 cms square. Fitted with crystal clear acrylic ‘glass’ and ready to hang
Personalise your print
You can personalise your Dog Tag print with a hand written dedication (up to 10 words).
This is written in pencil, below the dog tag image and above the signature (like the example in the picture for Benson the Labrador).
Choose this option and enter your own words at the checkout, if required.
About Springer Spaniels
When I talk to Springer Spaniel owners about their dogs, the most frequent word that they use to describe them is ‘mad’! The next thing they talk about is how they just love to be with you, whatever you are doing and wherever you are going. The phrase ‘Velcro Dog’ (as in ‘sticks to you like Velcro’) also cropped up quite frequently.
Completely devoted to their owners, it isn’t hard to imagine how the phrase to “follow one around like a spaniel” came into being.
Like the Cockers favoured by the Kennedys and Nixon, Springers are also the choice of American Presidents - this time the Bush family.
The spaniel is widely assumed to have originated in Spain, with the word “spaniel” thought to be derived from the old French word “Espaignol” meaning “Spanish”. It may have been the Romans who were responsible for bringing these ‘Dogs of Spain’ to other parts of Europe.
However another theory suggests that the name “spaniel” may come from the French verb “espanir” meaning “to crouch or flatten” (which describes a style of hunting involving crouching and springing).
They are extraordinary sniffer dogs and have been credited with saving countless lives in service due to their ability to detect bombs, explosives and weapons. They can also sniff out drugs, contraband mobile phones in prisons, bumble bee nests or illegal immigrants!
More gifts for springer spaniel lovers
You may also like these hand-made vintage English and Welsh springer spaniel cards (there's lots more breeds over on the vintage dog breed cards page)
And these framed large format vintage cigarette cards of English and Welsh springer spaniels from the 1930s (discover more vintage gifts for dog lovers from this series )